Learn to communicate with neighbors, employers, and make friends in the beautiful City of Glendale! Classes are for adults 18+ and older, all languages are welcome.
Learn to communicate with neighbors, employers, and make friends in the beautiful City of Glendale! Classes are for adults 18+ and older, all languages are welcome. Must register with the Literacy Center to participate. Space is limited.
This class takes place at the Central Library Tuesdays from 11-1pm, and runs from January 10 - February 28.
For more information or to register, please contact the Literacy Center at 818-548-6450 or email@example.com
|Mon, Mar 20||9:00AM to 9:00PM|
|Tue, Mar 21||9:00AM to 9:00PM|
|Wed, Mar 22||9:00AM to 9:00PM|
|Thu, Mar 23||9:00AM to 9:00PM|
|Fri, Mar 24||9:00AM to 6:00PM|
|Sat, Mar 25||9:00AM to 6:00PM|
|Sun, Mar 26||1:00PM to 6:00PM|
Established in 1906.
Library services in Glendale were first provided in 1906. The women of the Tuesday Afternoon Club, a social and philanthropic organization, raised money through a series of lectures to fund a library collection. The library opened in a renovated pool room at Third and E (Wilson and Everett) Streets with seventy books, soon supplemented by a State Traveling Library of fifty more, and served a population of 1,186.
In 1907, the City Trustees passed Ordinance 53 which established and supported a library which "...shall be forever free to the inhabitants and nonresident taxpayers of the City of Glendale..." The first year the library had 251 books, 165 registered patrons, and a budget of $248.88.
In 1913, a Carnegie grant of $12,500 made possible the construction of the main library at Kenwood and Fifth (Harvard Street). The building was completed and dedicated November 13, 1914.