Learn to communicate with neighbors, employers, and make friends in the beautiful City of Glendale! Classes are for adults 18+ and older, all languages are welcome.
Learn to communicate with neighbors, employers, and make friends in the beautiful City of Glendale! Classes are for adults 18+ and older, all languages are welcome. Must register with the Literacy Center to participate. Space is limited.
This class takes place at the Central Library Tuesdays from 11-1pm, and runs from March 14th - May 16th, 2023.
For more information or to register, please contact the Literacy Center at 818-548-6450 or email@example.com
Visitors to the Glendale Central Library receive 3 hours FREE parking across Harvard Street at the Marketplace parking structure with validation at the service desk. Accessible parking is available on the east side of the building.
For additional information about this event, please contact Central Library at 818-548-2021 or send us an email at LibraryInfo@GlendaleCA.gov.
|Mon, May 29||Closed|
|(Memorial Weekend Closure)|
|Tue, May 30||9:00AM to 9:00PM|
|Wed, May 31||9:00AM to 9:00PM|
|Thu, Jun 01||9:00AM to 9:00PM|
|Fri, Jun 02||9:00AM to 6:00PM|
|Sat, Jun 03||9:00AM to 6:00PM|
|Sun, Jun 04||1:00PM to 6:00PM|
Established in 1906.
Library services in Glendale were first provided in 1906. The women of the Tuesday Afternoon Club, a social and philanthropic organization, raised money through a series of lectures to fund a library collection. The library opened in a renovated pool room at Third and E (Wilson and Everett) Streets with seventy books, soon supplemented by a State Traveling Library of fifty more, and served a population of 1,186.
In 1907, the City Trustees passed Ordinance 53 which established and supported a library which "...shall be forever free to the inhabitants and nonresident taxpayers of the City of Glendale..." The first year the library had 251 books, 165 registered patrons, and a budget of $248.88.
In 1913, a Carnegie grant of $12,500 made possible the construction of the main library at Kenwood and Fifth (Harvard Street). The building was completed and dedicated November 13, 1914.